Monday, April 4, 2016

2016 Reading Challenge!

As I finish up homeschool scheduling for my niece for this year, and continue working on her curriculum for next year, as well as adding in her pre-school age little brother, I am trying to do more reading, myself.  I picked up on a Reading Challenge at the beginning of the year to go along with some books I received for Christmas:

https://peachesandcaffeine.wordpress.com/2016/01/01/2016-reading-challenge/

And I've been dabbling around a little with the website Goodreads.  Here is one of their "Read Harder" challenges for this year, thanks to folks at the New York Public Library:

http://www.nypl.org/blog/2015/12/15/read-harder-challenge

Here is what I have read thus far this year and how I categorized it (and categorization may, of course, vary from person to person):

A Book You Can Finish in a Day:  The Master of the Prado, Javier Sierra




A Book You've Been Meaning to Read:  A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter Miller
(Also fits, for me, with A Book You Should Have Read in School, but I am not going to double count....)




A Book That Was Banned At Some Point:  In Order to Live, Yeonmi Park (banned by North Korea)




And here are other categories I have added to my list and what I've read from those:

A Page Turner!  The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins




Non-fiction on Current Events of Interest:  Lights Out, Ted Koppel




Innovative Science:



A Book About War:  Kite Runner, Kaled Hosseini (Finally!  I've been meaning to read it for years - In Order to Live would also fit this bill....)




A Book Containing Absolutely Bizarre Characters:  A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole

(This could also fit with a book published posthumously; a book you should have read in school, etc. and is another I've meant to read for years....)




Next up, to fill the bill for A Book Chosen for You by Your Child, I will be reading Moby Dick (which, for me, could also fit with A Book You Previously Abandoned, lol!)

After that, I will be reading another from a category I added:  A Book That is a Take-off of a Classic - and I will be reading Ahab's Wife, Sena Jeter Naslund.



So, I have 18 total categories, thus far, to try to finish up this year: twelve from the ready-made challenge list I printed off, and another six I added to that.  To date, I have read books for seven of those, and have two more on deck to complete after I finish Confederacy, for a total of nine.  Almost halfway there!

What are you reading this year?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...