Friday, January 21, 2011

Week 19 Work - A New Semester!

Here's what we've been up to this week:

Religion

My son read through the little booklet How to Study the Bible

( http://www.cokesbury.com/forms/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=345406 )

and also read A Child's Book of Prayer in Art, Sister Wendy Beckett:

Child's Book of Prayer in Art Cover

He's continuing with some U.S. geography focused work in addition to the world geography that we do in connection with history.  He completed another paper for me this week on a geography topic. 

Same ol', same ol' routine for math, piano (I have his current songs listed in the right margin here), language arts, and languages.

History/Literature

We're reading this week about Colonial America through the American Revolution and to the beginnings of established government in the new union.  I read aloud and we discussed these books:


Independence Now: The American Revolution 1763-1783 (Crossroads America) Cover


I also read pertinent info from our Usborne and Kingfisher encyclopedias, as well as from these books: 


I believe I mentioned last week that we had started the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, and we continued that this week.  We also added in Night Journeys, Avi, and The Last of the Mohicans, James Fennimore Cooper (which we didn't get around to starting last week).

 He read SOTW chapter 22, as well as:



Ghosts of Salem and Other Tales, compiled by Richard Starbuck ( http://www.oldsalem.com/product/240/moravian_books )
Paul RevereSleds on Boston Common: A Story from the American Revolution CoverBuy The Midnight Ride Of Paul RevereGeorge Washington (A Picture Book Biography, Scholastic) by James Cross Giblin

Science

He finished reading Benjamin Franklin and Electricity, Steve Parker:
 Benjamin Franklin and Electricity (Science Discoveries)He worked more in his workbook The Atom, and completed another chapter in Tiner as well as another chapter in Changes in Matter.  We completed Friendly Chemistry chapter 8 and began working on chapter 9, element families.  He is currently doing Electron Dot Notation.

I keep forgetting to mention that we've been attending some free computer training courses put on by our local library system.  We've been doing this, as time and scheduling allow, since fall.  We've completed Word training and have begun PowerPoint training.  I just posted about this separately yesterday....  I believe we have a Desktop Publishing class scheduled next....

He continues with his soccer clinic, but his PE class was cancelled due to some weather related issues this week.  He did get to do his group guitar lesson as well as chess club.  He was also back in art this week....

Have you ever seen so much snow?  I don't recall a winter like this (anywhere that I've lived) since I was about 12!

Regena 


2 comments:

Faith said...

Love all the books. We have enjoyed especially Sister Wendy's A Child's Book of Prayer in Art. Isn't it lovely? And the Autobiography of Ben Franklin was so interesting.

Looks like a great week. We, sadly, have not had much snow at all. Just depressing dustings and lots of freezing rain. Boo hoo.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great week!

My kids and I just went to a museum exhibit on Benjamin Franklin, and it had many exhibits on his electricity experiments. My kids became very interested in him after the exhibit, and I have been looking for a good book on Franklin. I am off to Amazon to check out the book your son read.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...